The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Government. The Fulbright Program in Afghanistan is currently one of the largest Fulbright Programs in the world. It is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of Afghanistan. The Fulbright Program provides participants – chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential – with the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns. Fulbright, the most widely recognized and prestigious international exchange program in the world, actively seeks out individuals of achievement and potential who represent the full diversity of their respective societies and selects nominees through open, merit-based competitions.
- Completed a four-year Bachelor’s Degree, or a three-year Bachelor’s Degree with one additional year of undergraduate or graduate studies in a related field completed before February 28, 2017.
- Has an official TOEFL iBT test score of at least 75 for the Master’s program, or 80 for the Ph.D. program.
- Holds Afghan citizenship.
- Does not hold U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency.
- Maintains a permanent residence in Afghanistan (if currently living abroad, the applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her intent to return to Afghanistan after the Fulbright program).
- Does not have a pending application to immigrate to any country.
- One Word editable version of the application;
- Three letters of recommendation from the applicant’s professors and/or employers (two from professors and one from an employer is recommended)
- Two application essays (a Personal Statement and Study Research Objectives) ; and
- One PDF file that includes the entire application and the aforementioned supporting documents.
Additional Requirement for the PhD Program: Applicants must
- Have completed a Master’s degree by February 28, 2017; and
- Submit a professional writing sample (10-15 pages, in the anticipated field of study).