Submission is now open for the 2021 Bird Photographer of the Year (BPOTY) competition. It is the popular bird photography contest that celebrates the world’s nicest bird photography, while supporting conservation efforts through photographic work and financial support.
The Overall Winner of the competition will take home a £5,000 cash prize, alongside the coveted title of Bird Photographer of the Year.
Details of the contest
Submission deadline: 15 February 2021 (11:59 BST)
Organizer: Bird Photographer of the Year Limited
Winner announcement: September 2021
In total, the competition awards a cash prize of £18,000. There will also be prizes for Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards within each category.
- The Grand Prize Winner of the competition will win a £5,000 cash prize, as well as the prestigious title of Bird Photographer of the Year.
- In all 8 main categories, the 1st place winner will win a pair of Swarovski CL Companion 8×30 binoculars (worth £900).
- The 2nd place winner will receive a Tilopa bag with the Essentials Pack upgrade from F-stop Gear (worth £360).
- The 3rd place winner will take home a top Zenfolio website subscription.
- The winner of the Portfolio award will win a camera package from Olympus consisting of a Olympus E-M1X, 300mm f/4 lens, and a 2x converter (worth £4,000).
- The winner of the Conservation award will be awarded a £500 cash prize.
Young Bird Photographer of the Year
There are 3 categories for this competition include (8 and under, 9-13 years, 14-17 years). The winner of each category will win a £100 voucher for camera equipment.
The winner of the Young Bird Photographer of the Year will be selected from these category winners, and will take home another £200 voucher for their local camera store.
- Best Portrait;
- Birds in the Environment;
- Attention to Detail;
- Bird Behaviour;
- Birds in Flight;
- Black and White;
- Creative Imagery;
- Urban Birds;
- Conservation Award; or
- Portfolio Award.
- It is open to all countries in the world.
- The Competition consists of two parts: an adult competition and a youth competition.
- Adult Competition is open to individuals that are aged 18 years or higher on the submission date.
- The Youth Competition is open to individuals that are aged 17 years or below as of 15th February 2021.
- Entry into the Adult Competition requires entry credits which are charged for at a rate of £6 for 1 entry, £15 for 5 entries, £25 for 10 entries, £40 for 20 entries, £50 for 30 entries, or £60 for 50 entries. Entrants may buy further Entry Credits in their own discretion.
- There is no limit on the number of entries entrants may submit to the Competition.
Bird Photographer of the Year will appoint the judges of the competition.
The Judges will evaluate the submissions to the Competition and, in respect of each category, will choose from the submissions:
- the winners (the ‘Category Winners’); and
- the highly commended entries
How to make an entry?
Entry to the competition and submission of photo(s) is only possible through the below-linked website.
The images you submit should meet the criteria as follows:
- Entries must be submitted in JPEG (or JPG) format.
- Entrants shortlisted for the final round of judging will need to provide:
- Raw format files (such as . NEF, .CR2, etc) or, if unavailable, original untouched JPEGs for authentication and forensic purposes. DNG files are not permitted unless this is the native raw output of your camera;
- full, high-resolution files of the final image;
- an extended caption description; and
- if required by Bird Photographer of the Year for authentication, a series of images taken before and after the particular image in question.