Deadline: March 7, 2018
Registration for the 2018 Technovation season is now open! Every year, Technovation invites teams of girls from all over the world to learn and apply the skills needed to solve real-world problems through technology. You can now sign up to participate in the program this season, access the curriculum, and start connecting with your team.
Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Girls ages 10 to 18 learn to identify a problem in their community and create a mobile app solution to address that problem, and then learn how to communicate these ideas and translate them into a fully launched business.
Cost and Benefits
The Technovation curriculum is FREE. All you need is up to five middle school or high school girls, a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet. Teams may purchase smartphones to test the apps they create, but this can also be done in a limited way through a web-based phone emulator on App Inventor.
- Technovation is open for girls ages 10 to 18
- You will be placed in Junior Division if you will be 14 years or younger on August 1st, 2018
- You will be placed in Senior Division if you will be between 15 and 18 by August 1st, 2018
- No prior programming experience is necessary for Technovation students
- The program has no pre-selection screening for participation
- Technovation is free for all participants
- Each team will need up to five girls (ages 10 to 18), a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet, and a smartphone or tablet
- A team can’t have more than 6 members (excluding mentors)
- Teams own the code and intellectual property developed during Technovation. Neither Technovation or Iridescent own teams’ IP or their app, but you may want to look into protecting your app here (https://yourstory.com/2014/11/protection-ip-rights/).
Any girl or young woman (ages 10-18) interested in Technovation is eligible to compete, as long as she creates or joins a team on our online platform, has a signed parental consent form (which includes a photo waiver), and completes a pre-program survey.
- Adults (men and women) willing to support teams and walk them through the curriculum can register as a mentor.
- The program has no pre-selection screening for participation.
- No prior programming experience is necessary for Technovation mentors. Adults willing to encourage and inspire young girls are welcome to join as mentors
- Technovation is free for all participants.
- Mentors can join multiple teams and mentor in-person and virtually.
Students cannot ask mentors to code their app for them, write their business plan, or produce their pitch/demo video. All such submissions will be ineligible for the competition.
Teams will need to
- Register on my.technovationchallenge.org by March 7, 2018
- Submit their apps by April 25, 2018 at 5pm PT.
- Read the 2018 Season FAQ for any questions.
- October 18, 2017: Registration Opens, curriculum available
- January 18, 2018: Official start of 2018 Season (Updated curriculum and workbooks will be available)
- March 7, 2018: Team Registration Deadline (All members of your team must have registered and joined your team by this date)
- April 25, 2018: Submission Deadline
- May 31, 2018 – Semifinalists announced
- June 25, 2018: Scores released to teams
- July 30 through August 3, 2018 – Technovation World Pitch Summit
For more information, visit Technovation Challenge.